Self-Tanner Review Series: Dove Energy Glow - Beauty Addict

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Self-Tanner Review Series: Dove Energy Glow

Before I discovered L'Oreal Sublime Glow, Dove Energy Glow Daily Moisturizer With Subtle Self-Tanners (that's a mouthful) was my go-to gradual tanner. Ever notice how some gradual self-tanners feel a little plasticky and seem to sit on your skin? Well, this one feels like regular body lotion, which is a welcome change. It moisturizes really well, too.

The smell is a bit similar to Nivea Sunkissed straight out of the bottle, but this one works with the DHA a little better and never reaches the true depths of nauseating rotten fruit and stale vanilla. Sure, it smells like tanner (they all do), but it's pretty tolerable as these things go.

I use the Medium version and get a pretty good tan in 2-3 applications. After that, though? Well, don't get too overzealous with daily application. Once you've reached the color you want, skip one or two days between application.

Continued daily use, at least for me, can leave you with neon orange skin. Sometimes when you use these gradual tanners you get into a bit of a daily routine with them, and you don't realize you've gone overboard until it's too late. My moment of realization with the Dove came when I caught my boss staring oddly at my arm during a meeting. It was totally orange. The change had happened so gradually that I didn't know what I had gotten into.

Overall though, with controlled use, Dove is an excellent choice in the drugstore gradual tanner set.


Comments