Summer Essentials: Sun, Part 1 - Beauty Addict

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Summer Essentials: Sun, Part 1

The gorgeous weather we enjoyed in Miami last weekend afforded me the opportunity to test out myriad suncare products - I love the beach and the ocean, but I am deathly afraid of sunburns and the wrinkles that will follow. I'm quite fair and really don't need any (1) additional freckles, (2) wrinkles, (3) sunspots, or (4) skin cancer in my life, so I apply sunscreen religiously and am always on the hunt for the best one - especially when it comes to sunblocks for the face.

I don't know about you, but most sunscreens/blocks leave me with clogged pores, whiteheads, blackheads, and/or a general feeling of oiliness that just won't go away. Fortunately, I discovered Peter Thomas Roth sunscreens a couple of years ago, and they have served me well (see my review here).

Last weekend I tested out a couple more that turned out - to my surprise - to be winners are well. (Not that I have anything against the brands, but given my gripes in the paragraphs above, I am always extra suspicious when it comes to facial sunscreens).

First up, Protech Daily Moisturizer Sunscreen SPF 30+. Formulated for "people who put their body and skin through extraordinary physical and environmental challenges*," this is heavy-duty stuff, but doesn't feel heavy on your face. Full-spectrum Parsol 1789 (avobenzone) provides protection from UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays, without clogging pores, running into eyes, or looking chalky or greasy.

I even took a nap after my day at the beach before washing this off my face, and there were still no unsavory after-effects. Winner!

For my second day on the beach I tested Stallex Solar Protection Lotion for Face SPF15. This is part of a new line from dermatologist Neal Schultz (whose book, It's Not Just About Wrinkles, is a good read which I will discuss soon). For chemistry buffs, the Stallex sunscreen protects your face with Ethylhexyl-p-Methoxycinnamate, Benzophenone-3, Octyl Salicylate, and Butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane (whew!).

It also treats your skin to soothing Lavender and Green Tea extracts, and vitamin C. After 8 hours of wearing this oil-free sunscreen, none had migrated into my eyes, my face felt moisturized and "normal," and most importantly...no burn.

2 for 2 on the facial sunscreens...not bad! In the next Summer Essentials post I'll talk about sunscreens for your bod. Stay tuned!

* Note: So maybe lounging around on the beach reading Us Weekly isn't exactly an extraordinary challenge, but it's good to know that my sunscreen is looking out for me as I leaf through the latest on Britney, Paris, and Nicole.


Comments