Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow - Beauty Addict

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

A few people have asked me recently if I've "done anything" to my hair.

Now, "done anything" is a term that casts somewhat of a wide net. The conversation usually goes something like this:

Friend: "Your hair looks good/ different/ lighter/ darker/ curlier/ straighter. Have you done anything to it?"

Me: "Uh, have you seen my stash of hair products? Do you think I can even remember what I've been putting in it?"

When the boss' wife asked me about my hair and I had nothing but an idiotic answer, I decided it was time to review. So, here are two new finds which - I think - are responsible for the current "state of mane."

Clairol Nice 'N Easy Color Boosting Glaze in Medium to Dark Blonde gave my color a nice little "lift" when my highlights started to grow out. This ammonia- and peroxide-free formula lasts up to 6 shampoos and restores the brightness and shine of just-colored hair. The package instructions indicated it might not be suitable for highlighted hair, but I went ahead and used it anyway, because curiosity got the better of me and I am constantly fiddling with my hair.

The overall result was lighter and shinier, but the highlights didn't stand out as much (this is why it probably performs better on colored hair rather than highlighted). Still, I loved the overall effect - it was the perfect color boost for summer, with added shine and softness. The Glaze also made my hair feel thicker - but in a good way; it didn't weigh it down at all.

It's also quite easy to apply, and requires very little commitment since it washes out after a few shampoos. Perfect for spiffing up your color before a big event, between colorings, or just for fun!

When the Glaze started to wear off, I grabbed something I'd been eyeing for a while: Oscar Blandi Ancora Colore Color Conditioning System in Biondo. This two-step system includes a pre-rinse and a color-depositing conditioner. The pre-rinse smells faintly of licorice and purports to prep the hair for application of the conditioner; I am not sure of the science here, and may have to consult The Beauty Brains, but it appears to have done its job. After 5 minutes of letting the conditioner sit on my hair (with a shower cap on, running the blow dryer over it), my hair was noticeably lighter, and shinier. Both the highlighted sections and non-highlighted sections looked blonder, but you could still see the definition of the highlights - perfect.

The only drawback is that there are no guidelines as to frequency of use, so I've been using it with abandon. Maybe I'm ODing on the stuff; I'll let you know if my hair falls out.

Until then, bring on the products!

NOTE: While comments - both in agreement and dissent - are always welcome, please keep in mind that this post is about hair. So if you should decide to make unnecessarily obnoxious, rude, or irrelevant comments, please know that you will be banned from commenting on this site. If you're a regular reader, you know the reason for this!


Comments