Soap for a Long Winter(s) - Beauty Addict

Friday, February 29, 2008

Soap for a Long Winter(s)

Confession: I am slightly addicted to those "Kids by the Dozen" specials on TLC. I know I should be watching election coverage or something, but I am utterly fascinated by these incredibly large, and often rather kooky, families.

A couple of months ago I caught the episode on the Winters, a Maine family with their fair share of quirks. They dress "plain" (read: look like Amish, but not Amish). They live in a geodesic dome. Some of the kids have traditional Jewish names (Tzietel, Chavaleh), although the family is not Jewish - the names are from Fiddler on the Roof!

I was intrigued. So I googled them and found the parents and two of the kids posting on a TV message board; they seemed like a bunch of creative, lovable eccentrics, and I think the show was edited to make them look a lot nuttier than they actually are. And guess what? They make and sell their own aromatic soaps!

Of course I had to get some. I clicked over to their website, Candlestick Creations, and ordered a few bars. The soaps arrived wrapped in little pieces of fabric and tied with raffia - so cute! Some are sprinkled with dried flower petals, oats, and other bits and pieces, a la LUSH soaps. They smell amazing, and are so fragrant that I could smell them before I even opened the box.

I highly recommend the Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Pumpkin Spice, and Oatmeal Milk & Honey varieties. I also tried Honeysuckle, which was a little on the strong side and slightly medicinal. The soaps are only $8.50 for 2 bars, and you can purchase via Paypal, which is ridiculously easy and fast. Support a family business and buy some Winters soap!

Winters aromatic soaps, candlestickcreations.com


Comments