How Much is Too Much? - Beauty Addict

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How Much is Too Much?

I love limited-edition, spiffied-up compacts as much as anyone. So when I saw this bejeweled Night Diamond compact from Dior, my eyes started twirling around in my head. Sleek black compact? Decorated with chunky clear stones (a couple of which look like my favorite diamond cut, the Asscher)? Filled with a neutral, highlighting shimmer powder? I'm there.

But...it's $80. And it's not refillable.

I know that the Estee Lauder limited edition compacts go for far more money, but they're major collectors' items, and they're refillable, so you can use them year after year and even pass them down through the generations.

This Dior compact? Not so much. Imagine how upset you'd be if you dropped it at a party the second night you owned it, shattering the pressed powder inside. $80 bummer. I could actually see myself springing for this at $60, but $80 seems high. Still, everyone has their own personal price thresholds, where the price starts to exceed the perceived value.

So, what do you think? Is the price too steep for what you get? Or is it a fair deal for a limited edition holiday item?


Comments