The Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes: Bright New Mascaras from Estee Lauder - Beauty Addict

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes: Bright New Mascaras from Estee Lauder

When I think of brightly colored mascaras, Estee Lauder isn't exactly the first brand that comes to mind. Nevertheless, EL has launched a limited run of Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara in five jewel-tone shades.

Sumptuous Color is available in Amber, Amethyst, Garnet, Emerald, and Sapphire. Golden bronze Amber is definitely the tamest, while Emerald is probably the boldest.

So of course, I had to start my testing with Emerald.

This shade is actually more of a teal -- but not in an '80s way -- than a true emerald green, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I did a neutral grey/brown smokey eye, with some MAC Mineral eye shadow (discontinued, sorry!) on the lower lashline. Regular old black mascara on the upper lashes, then a sweep of Emerald on the lower. Toned down by the backdrop of grey/brown shadow, Emerald provided a subtle-but-modern pop of color. I'd usually use a bright shadow or liner on the lower lid to achieve this effect, so it was a fun twist to do it with mascara.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll use it, so for $19.50 it doesn't seem like the most economically sound choice, but if you're looking for a high-quality mascara in an unconventional hue, this is the one.

PS - Don't forget the pretty sweet Estee Lauder GWP going on right now at Nordstrom. Spend $39.50 and get $125 worth of EL goodies free. Even better, you can choose one of four available gift combos. Click here to get the codes.


Comments