Avon Advance Techniques Lotus Shield - Beauty Addict

Monday, August 30, 2010

Avon Advance Techniques Lotus Shield

I can't even tell you how excited I was when I heard about Avon's new anti-frizz product, Advance Techniques Lotus Shield. Inspired by the way lotus leaves repel water, Lotus Shield uses water-resistant technology to fend off frizz (note: the product does not contain any actual lotus-related ingredients).

It looked pretty good to me; I watched videos of women sitting in a humidity chamber and emerging with the Lotus Shield-treated section of their hair still smooth and frizz-free, and read lots of rave reviews across the interwebs. My fine, naturally wavy hair is most certainly prone to frizz, especially here in humid Hawaii, so I was stoked to try it.

But...le sigh...it didn't work for me.

I applied as directed, working a small amount through clean, damp hair and styling as usual (my usual: 80% air dry, 20% blow dry, finish with a flat iron). After the first application, my hair felt thicker and "coated," but in a good way. I liked it, although I've read that others found it sticky and heavy.

However, I didn't find that Lotus Shield extended my blowout or kept frizz at bay better than any other product. It was just...average. Totally average.

I decided to keep using it, following Avon's directive to apply after every other shampoo, to prevent too much buildup but still get a cumulative effect. The third time, I applied it and styled my hair the night before I flew to Kauai for the weekend. This would be the big test; our air-conditioned house up on a hill on Oahu is pretty average as Hawaii humidity goes, but the open-air Kauai airport, and the surrounding areas? Pretty sticky.

And that's when it happened. I stepped off the plane and my hair immediately started poufing out like the Stay Puft marshmallow man. And then, after about an hour of that, it gave up and fell flat. Typical frizz situation, and unfortunately, Lotus Shield did nothing to combat it. Nothing left to do but tie it up in a bun and call it a day.

I couldn't really bring myself to keep using it after that, with lackluster results on Oahu and zero results on Kauai. I went back to Moroccanoil that night and never looked back.

I have to say, I REALLY wish Lotus Shield would have worked for me. So many others seem to have had amazing results with it. One point in its favor: it smells great.

Have you tried Lotus Shield? Share your experiences in the comments!


Comments