Quick, But Not Dirty - Beauty Addict

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Quick, But Not Dirty

It is SO hard to get back into the swing of things after a vacation. Where is my mojito? Where is my BUTLER, dammit? That is all.

Now, moving on to an actual product review. Sally Hansen Color Quick Fast Dry Nail Color Pen. I was rather dubious when I first encountered this product. Nail polish in a click pen? And it's actually supposed to give you a decent manicure? No way. But I tried it, and became a believer.

The Color Quick pen houses one of eight shades (Big 3 free, mind you) in a portable, spillproof pen with a brush tip. You shake it, click it a few times, wait for the color to appear in the brush, and then polish away. The brush doesn't look like your average nail polish brush; it's fatter and a little bristlier, if that makes sense. I thought I'd have trouble navigating it around my nails (they're on the small side), but once it was well-lubricated with polish it was just fine. Still, it's the one thing I would change about this product; a "normal" nail polish brush tip would make the experience better and easier.

As for the color? A few clicks delivered two even coats that dried remarkably quickly and looked great, with no streaks or sheer spots. Just go slowly with the clicking; you can always click for more product, but if you're overzealous with it you'll overload the tip, and it's not as if you can just wipe it back into the bottle.

This pen is a fab little innovation; leave one in your desk drawer for a quickie mani before a hot date, or in your travel bag for a nice coat of pale pink before that big conference. I'm hoping it really takes off and becomes a huge success, because there are two expansions that I'd really love to see:

1. Shades that exactly match the most popular colors in the current Sally Hansen lineup. While the eight available Color Quick shades offer a nice range (from pale pink to red to black), I'd love to be able to carry around a touchup pen for an existing manicure...especially for those dark colors that produce noticeable chips!

2. A Color Quick pen in Clear, for an easy mani or a topcoat. The pens do a nice job with color, but to me, no manicure is really complete without a nice shiny layer of topcoat!


Comments