The Scent of Summer - Beauty Addict

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Scent of Summer

Not sure what the weather's like in your neck of the woods, but here in NYC it has been hot, hot, hot! It was so unbearable last week that I actually wanted to stay late in the office so I wouldn't have to go outside until the sun went down.

When temperatures rise, a good summer fragrance is certainly in order (another excuse to visit Sephora or Saks, perhaps? They're air conditioned, remember).

Some of my all-time favorites for summer are Summer by Kenzo, Bond No. 9 Eau de Noho, and Monyette Paris -- but recently, I've discovered another one to add to my hot weather rotation.

Estee Lauder Pure White Linen is an updated version of the classic White Linen, introduced in 1978. I must admit, when I first spied Pure White Linen in the store, I was dubious, having never been a fan of the original. White Linen, while it smelled lovely on my mother, was always "stuffy" on me, and I couldn't bear wearing it.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by Pure - it retains the clean, "sparkling" qualities of the original, but has a more modern, airy feel. Some fruity notes have been added, but don't br fooled - this isn't your typical "fruity floral" a la the Escada fragrances. It's slightly sweeter than original White Linen, but not cloyingly so. I find myself sniffing my arm all day when I wear this; it's never overpowering on a hot day, and makes me feel like I've just stepped out of an expensive-soap-laden shower.

You know that woman who never seems to sweat? Who looks cool and relaxed even when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity? This is what she smells like. Pure White Linen is crisp, elegant, and laid-back. Wear it when it seems there's no other way to beat the heat -- and any other time, too, for that matter. As the tagline says, it really is a "fragrance to live in all year long."

Here's the list of notes in Pure White Linen. It's lengthy, but the fragrance is not as complicated as the notes would suggest. The notes in brackets are my own:

Top: Grapefruit [very prominent in the opening...and delicious], Italian Mandarin, Iced Rose Tea, Raspberry, Pear, Green Granny Smith Apple, Dewy Greens, Blooming Lilies, White Freesia [certainly better than anything Bath & Body Works ever made], White Ginger, Cardamom

Middle: Red Tulip [a new addition...quite pretty], Rose Absolute, Wild Honeysuckle [a standout! I love the honeysuckle in this], Gardenia Petals, Tuberose, Jasmine, Soft Iris, Osmanthus

Base: White Cedarwood, Patchouli [hmm, haven't caught this at all in the drydown], White Heliotrope [on me, this is what stays after hours of wear]


Comments