Loose, wavy styles with low-slung side knots were THE hairstyle to have at last night's SAG Awards, and Ellen Pompeo's look is a perfect example. I didn't love her grey Nina Ricci gown (my first thought was "garbage bags from outer space!"), but her hair and makeup were just gorgeous.
Harry Josh, creative consultant for the John Frieda collection, used (what else) John Frieda products to make Ellen look "effortlessly gorgeous, like she just rolled out right out of bed and threw on an evening gown and a pair of Christian Louboutin pumps." The rationale behind the slightly messy do? "I think a perfect French twist or up-do ages a person," Harry says. "A look like this is very hip and hot. It's simple to do and doesn't take expensive products or styling tools."
Here's the scoop on what he used and how to achieve the look. Remember, all these John Frieda products are available at your local drugstore, and will NOT break the bank!
- Start by washing with Weather Works by Frizz-Ease Weather-Proofing Shampoo and Conditioner (perfect for damp, humid weather like yesterday in LA).
- Smooth on a dab of the Weather Works by Frizz-Ease Weather-Proofing Crème Sealant, to protect hair from humidity-induced frizz.
- Blow-dry each section with fingers and build it up with lots of hairspray (eek! Yes, hairspray. I know you hate it, but it's essential when you want your hairstyle to last in less than ideal weather). Harry chose the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Crystal Clear Hairspray - it's lightweight, doesn't create buildup, and holds hair in place while still leaving it manageable.
- Spray each section, let it dry, and then crumble it with your hands to make it moldable, making it moldable and, according to Harry, "as messy as possible."
- Pull it all into a messy side knot with a very high crown, leaving out some wispy flyaways.
Methinks it was a wise choice to use these new Weather Works products, because while many of the women last night wore styles like Ellen's, not too many of them held up for long. There was plenty of evidence of frizz on the red carpet - not good for photos. But Ellen's hair stayed perfect! What do you think of her look?