Avoid the Photoshopped Head Effect! - Beauty Addict

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Avoid the Photoshopped Head Effect!

You know how much I love self tanner (and fear the sun), but there's one body part that often goes neglected in the tanning process...and it can ruin the entire look. I'm talking about your face, my friends. We're happy to slather gallons of tinted, scented, gooey self tanner all over our bodies, but when it comes to the face? No way! Not only can full-strength tanners produce some disastrous results (especially around the eyebrows and the hairline), the heavy fragrances and thick textures can really do a number on pores.

But without some matching color on the face, you can end up looking like the victim of a bad photoshop job. Ever see a picture of yourself with a pale face and bronzed bod? Looks like your head was superimposed onto someone else's body, doesn't it? Not the best look. See this old photo of Paris Hilton for reference.

I've been trying for quite some time to find the perfect self-tanner for face, starting with some gentle, innocuous formulas (we're not going for the Katie Price look, right?).

Neutrogena Build-A-Tan Face turned my skin not orange, but yellow. Sallow, weird yellow. L'Oreal Sublime Glow Face did absolutely nothing, even after 4 consecutive days (this was particularly disappointing, since I love the body version).

I even took the plunge with a few of my "body" tanners; several of them broke me out, while the others - St. Tropez and Lancome Glow 'N Wear - were too deeply tinted to wear outdoors (I slept in them and had good results, but the process was a bit too tedious for me).

I've finally stumbled across one that I like, although the packaging leaves a bit to be desired. L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self Tanner for Face in Medium comes in a double-barreled bottle, each half dispensing equal amounts of self-tanner and instant bronzer.

This tanner produces a lovely, subtle glow for the face. After a couple of days I can completely ditch my tinted moisturizer and go bare-faced! But (there's always a but), the instant bronzer has an orangey, dirty look that I just can't love. Best bet is to press harder on the side of the pump that houses the tanner, ditching the bronzer completely, if you can manage it. It's a bit of a pain, but hey, nothing else seems to work!

Have you found the holy grail of facial self-tanners? If so, tell us in the comments - I'm definitely still on the hunt!


Comments