Clean & Clear SOFT Makes "Fetch" Happen - Beauty Addict

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Clean & Clear SOFT Makes "Fetch" Happen

Back in my school years, Clean & Clear was the brand of choice for the popular girls who were far too cool to suffer from the same teenage acne as everybody else.

"ACNE?!" they'd gasp. "I do NOT have acne. I just have a blemish." Or "clogged pores." Things like Stridex were left to the boys, and the unpopular girls.

Someone like Gretchen Weiners would have used Clean & Clear. So fetch!

And honestly, the brand did a great job of catering to this market: girls who wanted to take serious care of their skin, but wouldn't buy into the traditional marketing of acne products. Remember those Stridex commercials that showed animations of hideous, throbbing pimples, while blaring "MAXIMUM STRENGTH" across the screen? Clean & Clear never did any of that. Their marketing was all about pretty, approachable girls with gorgeous skin. Now who wouldn't want that?

That said, I had pretty much forgotten about the brand after I left high school. I recently tested a few items from the new Clean & Clear SOFT line, though, and the results reminded me of why the brand was such a hit with young women in the first place. One reason I really loved them? I like at least one product in my skincare routine to have salicylic or glycolic acid in it, because I do get, ahem, clogged pores, from time to time.

Clean & Clear SOFT Purifying Cleanser (aka SCRUB) is an everyday cleanser/facial scrub with salicylic acid, fruit acids, white tea, and fine exfoliating grains. It removed my makeup, exfoliated gently, and left my face feeling surprisingly soft and moisturized. Many times after using a scrub I'll find myself running for the heaviest moisturizer I can find to combat the "tight" feeling, but not with this one. Only negative? Since it's gritty, you can't really use it around your eyes.

Clean & Clear SOFT In-Shower Facial (aka STEAM) is truly a standout product. While you're in the shower, spread it on your face and leave it there for about a minute. Glycolic acid, clay, and fruit acids begin to work their magic, drawing out impurities and zapping dead skin cells. After a minute, start scrubbing. The exfoliating grains will take care of any remaining roughness and leave you with incredibly soft skin. As with the Purifying Cleanser, no tight feeling afterward.

If you've been looking for an inexpensive alternative to the excellent Prescriptives Instant Gratification, this is it. Both formulas combine chemical and physical exfoliants for a double-whammy scrub. The only major difference is that while the Prescriptives heats up your face, the Clean & Clear cools it down, thanks to a bit of menthol in the formula (if you're sensitive to that, be warned).

Both products are an incredible bargain at $6.99 for a 5 oz bottle. I tend to be a bit of a beauty snob and usually ignore drugstore skincare, but these two are excellent - especially the In-Shower Facial, which is truly outstanding.


Comments