Got Mosquito Bites? Stick It To 'Em - Beauty Addict

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Got Mosquito Bites? Stick It To 'Em

OK, so perhaps this is slightly off-topic for a beauty blog, but it definitely deserves some airtime. Today I actually thought I might die from mosquito bites. I spent last night partying it up on someone's patio, and awoke this morning with about 30 bites on my feet, ankles, calves and knees...even my toes! (And those mosquitoes LOVE the scar on my wrist, they bite it every time. Bizarre, right?)

The itching was unbearable. Benadryl did nothing, nor did anything else I had in the house. At one point I was scratching so hard that I scratched the faux tan right off my legs!

I frantically Googled for mosquito bite home remedies and found one that I'd never heard of before: scotch tape (see the original tip here). Apparently you swab the bites with alcohol and then cover them with tape, and the itching stops.

I was dubious, but I was also itching like crazy, so I grabbed the rubbing alcohol and the tape and went to work.

My legs and feet are now nearly mummified with Matte Finish Magic Tape, and after just 5 minutes the itching is down over 50%. I honestly can't believe it!

I'm leaving the tape on as long as possible; I know this means I'll be picking it out of my sheets tomorrow morning, but I don't care. I'm just grateful to be rid of this godawful itching...for now!

And perhaps tomorrow I'll try one of the other bizarre remedies I found in my frantic Google search (think antiperspirant, toothpaste, lemon juice). What are your favorite home remedies for bites? Post them in the comments!


Comments