A Bandwagon Worth Jumping On: Urban Decay Naked Palette - Beauty Addict

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Bandwagon Worth Jumping On: Urban Decay Naked Palette

Buy this palette. Now! That's an order.

If you don't already own the Urban Decay Naked Palette, you need it in your life. I've been using it every day since I bought it (it made its debut when I was on hiatus, so I'm a little late), and I'm obsessed. This is the best $44 I've spent on makeup, well, maybe ever. Believe the hype!

First off, it's a pretty incredible value; the palette contains 12 FULL SIZE eyeshadows in shades ranging from pale champagne to deep charcoal, as well as a double-ended 24/7 eyeliner in Zero (black) and Whiskey (brown), and a mini Primer Potion. All you need is mascara and your eyes are done!

Shades include 6 permanent shades, 1 repromote, and 5 new, exclusive shades, in a variety of finishes:

  • Virgin - pale chamois satin - new
  • Sin - champagne shimmer - permanent
  • Naked - matte buff nude - permanent
  • Sidecar - light cocoa with golden sparkle - repromote
  • Buck - matte nutmeg - new
  • Half Baked - bronze shimmer - permanent
  • Smog - medium bronze shimmer - permanent
  • Darkhorse - deep antique bronze sparkle - new
  • Toasted - rich copper shimmer - permanent
  • Hustle - deep plum brown satin - new
  • Creep - blue-black onyx shimmer with silver sparkle (UD says gold, but I see silver) - new
  • Gunmetal - bluish gunmetal grey with silver glitter - permanent
The sparkly shades (Sidecar, Darkhorse, Creep, and Gunmetal) have noticeable glitter, but it's pretty fine and not too heavy; just keep a clean brush on hand to sweep away any fallout from your cheeks. If using any of these during the day, I'd recommend using that clean brush to sweep some of the glitter off your lids as well (trust me, there's not too much, but it's a little much for me in the daytime).

The mattes are natural and not chalky, and the satins and shimmers are gorgeous and glowing. Everything blends easily and best of all, everything coordinates. You could spend hours at the mirror playing with different shades and creating dozens of looks!

I like Virgin as a highlight shade for browbones and inner corners (might be a little light for you if you have darker skin, but works perfectly on my light complexion). For daytime, I usually do a combo of Sin, Sidecar and Toasted blended on my lids (with most of Sidecar's glitter swept away per my above note). At night, I'm loving a bronze smokey eye with Smog and Darkhorse. Blend the edges with Sin to avoid any hard lines.

Now here's one of the best things about this palette: if you're a traveler and prefer to pack light, it contains all the shadows and liners you need. When I used to travel for business, I would severely edit my makeup bag and only bring along key pieces. But I'd always end up bored, wearing the same look every day, and not having anything more exciting for dinners or social occasions. I wish I'd owned this palette back then; you can create everything from office-appropriate neutral eye looks to smoldering nighttime eyes, and it doesn't even take up that much room in your bag.

The Naked palette is NOT limited-edition, it's a permanent addition to the Urban Decay line. Fortunately, it seems like the supply situation is finally starting to even out; the palette is available online from Ulta, though Sephora.com is sold out at the moment, and store availability is still spotty. If you prefer to shop Sephora, you can sign up to be notified you when it's back in stock here.


Comments