Beauty Blasphemy - Beauty Addict

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Beauty Blasphemy

These days I feel like this blog is my own personal confessional, what with my admissions of not washing my face at night, getting my first grey hair, and having a crush on Jerry Seinfeld. So why not one more? This one's pretty big.

I hate Cetaphil.

Gah! I know, I know. I'm supposed to love Cetaphil, right? Everyone does. Cetaphil is like gospel in the beauty world. Problem skin? Oh, you must use CETAPHIL, it is the best, the most gentle, the most amazing thing ever invented.

The truth is, it is gentle, and very well suited to sensitive or irritated skin. Except...I can't stand the texture, the feeling it leaves on my face, or even the "non-smell." You know what I mean - that subtle, lurking, plasticky smell that's the hallmark of all supposedly unscented goods.

But even though I despise Cetaphil, it does have its place in my beauty closet. When I have a particularly bad "skin freakout," usually brought on by testing a new product that just doesn't agree with me, I put my face on the Cetaphil diet. Cleanse with Cetaphil morning and night, and use a really gentle moisturizer (see the Skin Freakouts post for my top picks).

The Cetaphil diet, after a couple of days, keeps my skin calm and helps it get back to normal. But that doesn't mean I don't loathe the product itself any less. As I slather it on my face, I keep having to remind myself that this is good for my skin.

What's your opinion on this famed beauty product? Love it, hate it, think it's overrated, can't live without it? Post your thoughts in the comments!


Comments