Tocca Brigitte: Bardot, Not Nielsen - Beauty Addict

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Tocca Brigitte: Bardot, Not Nielsen

Brigitte is the latest addition to Tocca's fragrance lineup, joining Florence, Cleopatra, Stella, and longtime cult favorite Touch. Inspired by Brigitte Bardot, this fragrance wants to take you on a little trip to the south of France:

"Tocca's newest fine fragrance invites you into Brigitte's bike ride in the south of France. The intoxicating scent of the Marseilles spice market mingles with ginger, then folds in the essence of Moroccan Rose petals, blending chic, old-world European style with whimsical and exotic intrigue. Brigitte's loveliness is deliciously textured—sweet top notes of Rhubarb and Papaya bloom into middle notes of Iris and Saffron. Her depth shines through bottom notes of Sandalwood and Musk."

I bought it because it reminded me of a less-sweet version of Coeur de Vahine by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, one of those scents that seemed to smell absurdly amazing on my but horrible on just about everyone else (now THAT'S how to pick a signature fragrance). Coeur de Vahine had a savory cinnamon quality to it that always garnered compliments; the effect is replicated in Brigitte thanks to the presence of ginger, rhubarb and sandalwood.

There's also something about it that reminds me of Serge Lutens Rousse, one of my favorite autumn scents, although I feel Brigitte would fare better than Rousse in warmer temps (I reserve Rousse specifically for cold weather). It's the cinnamon factor that brings the association to mind, but Brigitte is sweeter where Rousse is drier and woodsier.

BUT...and this is a big but...the drydown totally ruined Brigitte for me. After a couple of hours on my skin -- after I left the store, of course, with everything wrapped up and paid for -- it morphed into some hideous melange of air freshener and cat pee. I kid you not. CAT PEE! I kept thinking that something smelled off, and it was me. Very disappointing; back to Sephora it went!

And back to Coeur de Vahine I go.


Comments