Vacation Essentials: Hawaii - Beauty Addict

Monday, June 22, 2009

Vacation Essentials: Hawaii

In the spirit of my past Summer Essentials posts (check out this one and this one), here are a few of my must-haves from my recent Hawaiian escapades. It's such a laid-back place, so I packed light and focused on multi-tasking products, with a few standouts thrown in for some extra pop.

1. Bumble and bumble Creme de Coco Masque ($26) Can't go anywhere without my favorite hair product! This proved to be perfect for counteracting high humidity, potential frizz, and dryness from frequent swimming. As at home, regular use even eliminated the need for styling products.

2. L'Occitane Castanha Face Sunshine Veil ($22) THE perfect self-tanner for face. It's pretty light, so you can use it every day, and it can even replace your daily moisturizer in more humid climates. Plus, it doesn't smell heinous or clog your pores.

3. Summer by Kenzo Dry Oil ($45) Are you sick of hearing me talk about this stuff yet? Just humor me one more time: this amazing oil served as fragrance, moisturizer, and body shimmer/glow, all in one. (If you're traveling with it, though, just make sure to pack it in a Ziploc in case of leaks or breakage...gold shimmery oil is gorgeous on your skin, but certainly not your clothes.)

4. Banana Boat Protective Tanning Oil Sunscreen Spray SPF 15 ($8) For relaxing beach days (NOT for snorkeling or hikes...those demand some heavy-duty sunblock), I love this spray oil sunscreen. It protects you from burning but still gives you that fabulous sheen that only oil can provide. Let's face it...tanning oil is one of the worst skincare sins. But with this, you get all the wonderful, greasy moisturization and glowing skin, minus the cancer-inducing burn. Only drawback? Sand tends to stick to it.

5. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Perfect Topping ($27) This metallic frost baked powder served many purposes and was my go-to face product! As an allover dusting, it gave me a little bit of a glow, and a heavier application on cheeks was all the blush I needed, thanks to just a tiny touch of natural sun. I even used some to highlight my shoulders and collarbones at night.

6. Redken Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Leave-in Smoother ($16) OK, so I forgot this on my last trip, but I've since been using it on beach days back in NY, so it's definitely coming with me next time. This spray-on hair smoother keeps beach frizz at bay AND provides water-resistant protection against UV rays, chlorine and minerals. Plus, it smells great, and it has gold sparkles in it. Can you ask for anything more?

7. Estee Lauder Pure Color Gloss Sticks in Pop Pink and Orange Poppy ($18.50) The perfect cross between lipstick and gloss! I used these when I wanted to add a pop of color to an otherwise minimal/neutral face. The bright colors look so summery, and look especially fab when you're sporting a tan (real or fake). Orange Poppy is shown in the image above; Pop Pink is a slightly shimmery bright fuchsia.

8. Clinique Lash Power Mascara ($14) I've talked about this mascara many times, and I LOVE it. It's one of those long-wearing formulas that creates little tubes around each lash. As long as you don't rub your eyes, it'll stay on, even in the water. This is quite useful when your itinerary includes jumping off boats and/or rocks.

What are your vacation beauty must-haves? Share them in the comments!


Comments